Monday, May 16, 2011

Snug as a Bug in a Rug - A Deep Larder and Pantry

I always like the saying but do NOT want bugs in my rugs. Security though is something that I am always striving to reach. Having a full pantry is part of that secure feeling. Food seems to be such a basic survival item. In a priority it would be #2 next to water. Then there would come clothing and shelter.

I use the word Larder because my mother always talked about her Mother's pantry as a larder. I had fun researching the difference between Pantry and Larder. I thought you might be interested in what I found.

Wikipedia has an excellent description of pantries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantry

Pantries can serve several functions. In Medieval times whole rooms served as pantries. I love that idea. I remember a friend that had a custom built home. She had a 6' x 12' storage area offer her kitchen. It was fabulous and all shelved lined with food. A dream pantry. My husband and I love to walk through model homes. It has always surprised me that they were 3,000+ sq ft for $750,000+ without anything but cupboards and maybe a 3'x4' space as a "pantry". I am fortunate in my 2,200 sq. ft. home to have a 5'x 6'. I want a whole room!

Butteries were built on the North corner of the house to keep things cold [cold storage] in early America. Wouldn't it be great to have your own "cold storage". So often we think of a basement for this function. I don't have a basement.

"Butler's pantries, or china pantries [storage of serving items], were built between the dining room and kitchen of a middle class English or American home" during the 18th and 19th centuries. I like the idea of having space for different functions. There were shelves and counter tops in these rooms.

Now a Larder is close to a "Buttery Pantry". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larder They were built on the north side of the house to keep the space cool. In Australia it was the south side. They even could have a screened window to help keep them cool. They were very popular before refrigerators moved into the kitchen. Now I like the idea of a large cool space for food. Today it takes more than one refrigerator if you are into having a full pantry.

At the present I have food stored in several locations in the home. It would be great to have a "room" designated for this.

Happy Pantry and Lauder storing! Judy