Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Hmm I Live Here!!! Pacific NW and the Earthquake Dance - Waiting for the Really Big One

The sun is shining.  It is summer in the Pacific NW.  The birds are singing and blue berries are ripening.  This is my favorite time of the year. 

Then this article from the New Yorker offers something different to think about.  The Really Big One

So many people joke that we live at the foot of a huge volcano that could go off any time.  The last time there was a serious issues with Mt Rainer was about 500 years ago.  It was not from a "blow" but from a collapse at its top which resulted in a huge mud flow.  I live just on the outer edge of the area that would be impacted. 

The "silent" killer though is a fault line that was discovered in the last 50 years.  It is hidden deep in the ocean about 100 miles off shore.  The last serious earthquake and tsunami caused by this fault was thought to have been around 1700.  It is this fault line that the article discusses. 

As I sit here looking out at the beautiful day I realize it could be turned upside down in 30 minutes.  This could happen or not happen in my life time.

I wonder how those that live in "Tornado Alley" live knowing they are is disasters way every year.  The chances are worst there than here.  But it does not matter.  Being caught in a disaster is no fun.

Judy